Department / Unit:
|Temporary Part Time
Headwaters Health Care Centre is a mid-sized community hospital operating as an acute and complex continuing care facility, providing both inpatient and outpatient services to the residents of Dufferin County and the surrounding area. With a team of over 700 staff and over 160 physicians, we are invested in the health of our community and are continually striving to live out our purpose of being One Community, Caring Together.
We are recruiting for new team members to help us continue in our mission to serve our community with kindness, passion, courage, and teamwork.
The clinical extern will be working in the capacity as an unregulated health care provider. Nursing clinical externs work in collaboration with a unit nursing team under direct and/or indirect supervision of an appointed Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Practical Nurse (RPN). They may perform pre-identified Controlled Acts authorized to nursing within the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) of Ontario delegated to them under the supervision of a RN or RPN who is authorized to perform them.
Externs will be hired on contract, during which the Extern will work part time hours to a maximum of full-time hours (37.5 hours per week). The scheduling of these hours will be determined based on unit needs and may include day/evening/night and weekend shifts.
As a clinical extern, you will:
- Practice under the direct and/or indirect supervision of the Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse assigned to them on the unit and in a manner consistent with Headwaters Health Care Centre policies standards, while taking into account CNO guidance for unregulated care providers.
- Work with unit nurses to ensure that they have the knowledge, skills and judgment needed to perform all actions/duties.
- Provide assistance with lifting, turning, transferring, transporting and ambulating as per the hospital policy.
- Provide measures to ensure skin integrity and reduce pressure injuries.
- Assist with comfort measures and patient safety by ensuring the environment is clean and tidy and free of hazards.
- Request assistance with assigned duties whenever in need.
- Demonstrate excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Participate as a member of the interprofessional team
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited School of Nursing and entering into final years of a Practical Nursing (in year 2 and 3) or BScN (in year 2-4) nursing program;
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent academic standing
- An official school transcript will be required if you are invited to be interviewed for this position;
- Current BCLS required;
- Well-developed critical thinking and organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize and take initiative;
- Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Ability to work all shifts as necessary;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Kindness, Passion, Courage, and Teamwork
- Ability to embrace ongoing change and innovations
- Demonstrated commitment to a person and family centered care environment
- Demonstrated good attendance record with the ability to maintain this same standard
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with organization related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
- Completion of mandatory/required certifications provided via Headwaters Healthcare Centre corporate orientation, including extern orientation, and as defined by unit. (e.g. Fit Test, WHIMS, AODA, IPAC)
- Demonstrated infection prevention and control practices
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Successful completion of a recent clinical placement in an acute care area preferred.
- There are 15 positions available.
- The duration of these temporary roles will be approximately 6 months.