Department / Unit:
Reporting to the Program Director, Surgical Services. Obstetrics & Ambulatory Care Programs the Manager of Surgical Services is accountable and responsible for ensuring the provision of patient-centered care for patients accessing care in Surgical Services.
The Manager is responsible for providing leadership and direction for the operations, management, utilization, risk management and quality improvement within the Surgical Services - Pre-Op Clinic, Day Surgery, Operating Room, Recovery Room, Medical Device Reprocessing (MDRD), Endoscopy & Minor Procedure departments. The Manager is accountable for efficient, effective utilization of approved physical, financial and human resources; for guiding and coordinating activities of the area in accordance with professional standards and supporting the goals and strategic direction of Headwaters Health Care Centre.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Valid registration with a Professional Healthcare Regulating Body;
- Completed Baccalaureate Degree; or actively pursuing and a commitment to continuous learning
- Completion or working towards a Master’s Degree in relevant field is considered an asset.
- Leadership Certification or training an asset
- Minimum of 5 years of clinical experience in acute care with strong experience a community based hospital; where you have demonstrated prowess in managing the interpersonal and fiscal challenges of a highly demanding critical care setting’
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ recent management/leadership experience in an acute care setting; with perioperative experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to plan collaboratively to meet or exceed WTIS, CCO and Surgical Services performance measures
- Proven leadership/management skills including strong human resources, labor relations, quality management, change management and utilization management skills;
- Exceptional analytical and information-seeking skills that contribute to effective decision-making and strategic planning and execution of action plans that deliver results and motivate individuals for greater performance excellence
- Ability to work with a diverse stakeholder group with demonstrated facilitating and coaching clinical areas on change initiatives. Self-directed, courageous, and highly motivated with excellent interpersonal and communication skill
- Experience managing competing demands in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary health care environment
- Proven risk management strategies
- Experienced in the LEAN philosophy and have a proven track record of generating continuous improvement in your clinical area.
- Ability to respond to a large number of simultaneous/competing demands from patients, families, staff, physicians, and other programs and departments
- Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed environment as well as in a team environment
- Possesses strong and effective communication and team-building skills and use them successfully to motivate and engage staff.
- Established reputation as a consultative, collaborative, coaching and/or mentoring style of leadership.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and change management skills.
- Evidence of effective communication and conflict resolution skills with the ability to develop positive working relationships with all stakeholders promoting collective problem solving approaches;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong orientation to staff development and staff empowerment.
- Experience at forging partnerships with stakeholders from across the spectrum of health care enables you to see the “big picture” and anticipate opportunities that continually lead to best-in-class patient care.
- Experience leading departments through Accreditation Canada surveys an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of employer responsibilities in accordance with the applicable collective agreements; occupational health & safety; infection prevention and control, and risk management.