Department / Unit:
Reporting to the Director of Facilities, Procurement and Support Services , the incumbent works as part of the Facilities & Engineering team to operate and maintain Headwaters Health Care Centre, including all piping systems, fixtures, equipment and building systems, in optimal, safe working order in accordance with applicable Codes (e.g. Fire, Building, Plumbing, OHS, etc.), Standards (e.g. C.S.A,, etc.), Guidelines (e.g. PIDAC) as well as other related legislative requirements.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Minimum Grade 12 education
• Valid Ontario Certificate of Qualification, 306A Plumber
• Minimum three to five (3 – 5) years related experience in an Institutional/Commercial or Industrial setting is required, experience in hospital setting is preferred
• Demonstrated familiarity with Plumbing, CSA and Safety codes/regulations/standards and best practices related to plumbing as well as general, building, demand and preventative maintenance
• Experience working with RO and Commercial Water Softener Systems
• Ability to read and interpret/understand design drawings, manufacturers’ literature, and installation diagrams for piping and appliances.
• Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written including electronic (email) and written (handwritten and typed) communications.
• General maintenance experience including routine servicing, operation, maintenance and repair of hospital building equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, maintain and service equipment with interdependencies on plumbing systems and plumbing systems in general.
• Demonstrated ability to accurately estimate and calculate material and equipment requirements.
• Able to perform a variety of building repair and maintenance assignments as required.
• Working knowledge of computers and software applications.
• Evidence of effective customer service, organizational, interpersonal, communication, leadership, judgement, critical thinking, trouble-shooting and decision-making skills.
• Ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team.
• Flexible, self-directed and able to work alone effectively with minimal supervision.
• Valid G driver’s license and access to vehicle for travel as required
• Able to conduct heavy physical lifting, frequent prolonged standing/walking, pushing/pulling, or moving/lifting heavy equipment/supplies and ladder work.
• Able to work standby hours, shift work and overtime.
• Acceptable performance and attendance records