Department / Unit:
The Spiritual Care Coordinator supervises, facilitates and coordinates the provision of spiritual care of patients, patient’s family members and hospital and associated staff involved in the experience of illness linking them to appropriate faith communities.
Spiritual Care Services:
• Facilitates the provision of spiritual care to patients, patient’s family members and hospital and associate staff
• Liaises with community clergy regarding patients’ visitation and concerns
• Visits patients when community clergy/or another chaplain is not available or appropriate
• Responds appropriately to the spiritual needs of staff and volunteers
• Consults with other members of the health team as appropriate regarding care of patients
• Accepts referrals for spiritual care from hospital medical staff
• Ensures availability of a 24-hour Chaplaincy resources service for patient and staff as able, .
• Ensures the development and coordination of faith groups in their provision of spiritual care within the hospital
• Provides consultative services to the professional staff throughout the Corporation as requested in matters of spiritual concerns or questions
• Ensures that multi faith considerations are acknowledge and accommodated whenever possible
• Accepts primary, but not exclusive, responsibility for promoting and monitoring issues relating to the value system (ethics) that maximizes harmonization in the care of people and personnel management from a spiritual perspective
• Provides staff development for hospital staff to ensure role of spiritual care is interpreted appropriately to the hospital community
• Ensures that training, education and supervision is provided to volunteer chaplains. Participates in continuing educational opportunities to enhance professionalism and update knowledge and quality of Spiritual Care Services
• Participates in the development and implementation of administrative policies or issues as they relate to the Hospital and Spiritual Care Services
• Supervises the activities of the volunteer chaplains
• Oversees the activities of spiritual visitors and ensures adherence to hospital policies
• Serves as secretary and coordinator to the Spiritual Care Advisory Committee
• Responsible for Quality of Spiritual Care Services in accordance with hospital policies
• Meets the objectives of spiritual care in keeping with the hospital’s vision
• Maintains spiritual care standards established by the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation
• Develops and controls departmental budget in collaboration with the Manager and Spiritual Care Advisory Committee
• Participates actively in professional associations as required
• Prepares and submits reports as required
• Liaise with Ministerial Associations, clergy, parishes and other faith groups, community agencies and serves as a resource to ensure commitment and representation from the community
• Takes advantage of public relations opportunities to promote Spiritual Care Service in the catchment area of Headwaters Health Care Centre
• The above details of functions are not to be considered all inclusive. Employees may be requested to complete other duties in the interest of the efficient operations of the hospital or effective patient care.
• Participates in patient safety initiatives and takes action to address unsafe conditions and procedures to ensure a healthy and safe environment
• Promotes an environment that encourages and supports change using change management theory
• All employees of Headwaters Health Care Centre (HHCC) are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by HHCC.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• A graduate of an accredited college or university and an approved Theological School or Seminary, or equivalent.
• Satisfactory completion of four units of accredited supervised spiritual education or equivalent.
• Experience with volunteer coordination
• Experience in hospital ministry preferred
• Proven administrative experience
• Endorsement by the applicant’s faith group.
• Vulnerable Sector Background Check