Department / Unit:
|Infection Prevention & Control
|Temporary Full Time
Reporting to the Director of Quality, Planning and performance, the Infection Prevention & Control (IPAC) Practitioner is responsible for setting goals, developing policies and procedures, and ensuring safe, quality patient care across units and services. The IPAC Practitioner works closely with the patient care programs and supervises the development, implementation and evaluation of the IPAC strategies for the patient care programs. This includes surveillance activities; organizing outbreak management; acting as a consultant internally and externally; providing education to all health care providers; reviewing, selecting and distributing appropriate literature; linking with external agencies and academic institutions across the continuum of care; participating in research activities, and applying continuous quality improvement principles. This role also includes providing IPAC recommendations for design and construction projects, quality improvements, product evaluation and performing risk assessments involving infection risk.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant health science discipline required; Master’s in epidemiology, quality and patient safety or related area preferred
• Current registration as a regulated health professional in nursing, medical laboratory technology, respiratory therapy or a related field preferred
• A minimum of five years clinical experience in infection prevention and control in an acute care setting
• Current Infection Control Certification (CIC) through the Certification Board of Infection Control.
• Active member of the Community and Hospital Infection Control Association of Canada (CHICA) and/or other local and national infection prevention and control associations.
• Knowledge in microbiology, infectious diseases, epidemiology and statistical analysis and demonstrated abilities to integrate this knowledge into clinical practice.
• Experience and knowledge in clinical research and infection control issues as they relate to patients and health care workers and teaching experience are desirable qualifications.
• Proven interpersonal and communication skills, combined with your knowledge of patient care practices and critical care procedures.
• Demonstrated ability in settings of outbreaks or new risks to identify and access most appropriate expert resources and mobilize interdisciplinary response
• Demonstrates effective leadership and management skills including team facilitation.
• Self-motivated, self-directed while possessing the ability to work in a collaborative manner.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of the principles of adult education is essential.
• Demonstrated ability to work with individual and teams to integrate knowledge into clinical practice
• Ability to liaise with external agencies, partners and other agencies.
• Ability to work with highly confidential information.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft office suite required. Meditech client server an asset.
• Demonstrated excellence in organization and time management strategies
• Acceptable performance and attendance records
Extra InformationThe duration of this temporary position is approximately 12 months