Department / Unit:
|Temporary Full Time
The Physician Assistant is a highly skilled healthcare professional educated in the medical model who will work under the supervision of a registered physician in the Emergency Department. The Physician Assistant needs to have the knowledge, skills, and experience to work in collaboration as part of the inter-professional team. The physician assistant will have a focus on patient flow through the department, working with the registered physician to expedite timely care in all aspects of the patient’s journey.
The Physician Assistant will have a dual reporting structuring, reporting to the Chief of ED, and the Director of Medicine. The Physician assistant will practice under the supervision of an ED registered Physician each shift. Duties Include:
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Supports the physician as an extension of the supervising physician within the physician patient relationship as guided by the supervising physician, performing controlled acts delegated by supervising physician;
- Performs complete and appropriate clinical assessment along with documentation;
- Formulates clinical treatment plans;
- Uses preventative and therapeutic interventions effectively to meet needs of patients;
- Ensures that members of the health care team and patients are aware of his/her status of Physician Assistant while providing services;
- Acts as a resource to the team through clinical expertise and knowledge base related to the medical/clinical needs of patients. Incorporates evidence based practice to support clinical decision making;
- Ensures he/she has the necessary knowledge, skill and judgment to perform any act that has been delegated;
- Assists the team to develop continuous quality improvement, utilization management and risk management activities, including implementation of standards and tracking mechanisms, in collaboration with the manager;
- Provides guidance and direction to coordinate discharge planning and promote patient flow;
- Develops rapport, trust, and ethical therapeutic relationships with patients, families, and members of the inter-professional team.
- Promotes and maintains good interdepartmental relationships;
- Provides and promotes support to student clinical placement assigned to the area along with assisting in the orientation/mentoring of new staff; and
- Performs other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) Certificate of Registration in good standing or eligibility;
- CAPA Interest Group relative to area of work;
- Accredited Physician Assistant;
- Current CPR or BCLS certificate;
- Certification in ACLS and PALS or obtain within 6 months of the commencement of the position;
- Certification relative to area of work (preferred);
- Minimum 6 months to 1-year Clinical experience in critical care, emergency or Medical/Surgical area, or relative clinical pre-graduate experience;
- Emergency experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to support and coach staff in the accomplishment of department goals and initiatives; and
- Ability to perform all specialized functions in the relative clinical service area (i.e. Delegated Medical Acts.).
- The duration of this temporary position is approximately 12 months.
- All job offers will require compliance with our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for proof of full vaccination unless provided with a medical exemption or an accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code.