Department / Unit:
LIS Applications Coordinator Meditech Expanse
(Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre)
For over 20 years, Collingwood General & Marine Hospital (CGMH), Georgian Bay General Hospital (GBGH), Headwaters Health Care Centre (HHCC) and Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH) have been in partnership sharing a single Health Information System (HIS) – Meditech. This group has come to be known as the “Regional IT Partnership”.
The primary purpose of this partnership is to improve patient safety and quality of care by promoting, implementing and maintaining a one patient, one record vision through a single shared HIS. The Regional IT Partnership has identified information and technology as a key pillar to support a safe and efficient patient experience while driving clinical excellence. We are excited to be preparing for the implementation of a new health information system (Meditech Expanse) that will bring together a team of skilled clinical experts and stakeholders from the four partner hospitals.
POSITION SUMMARY & ACCOUNTABILITIES
As the LIS Applications Coordinator for the Regional IT Partnership, your responsibilities will include:
Assistance with the Laboratory for system downtimes, upgrades and recovery. Troubleshooting LIS problems, both hardware and software. Liaising with Clinical Informatics and Applications, Decision Support, other IT departments, other departmental IS coordinators and application specialists. Working with LIS in the building, updating and maintenance of the Laboratory Information System dictionaries. Working with LIS Charge to implement new functionality and expand upon existing functionality within the LIS system as required by expanding laboratory requirements, assisting with requirements IQMH requirements annually. Extraction and development of ad-hoc reports information from other Lab related systems e.g. Vantage. Assist in the programming/testing of all analyzer interfaces. Providing training and in-service of key Laboratory staff. Supporting IT/CIA with problems with connectivity and barcode printers. Maintaining general aspects of Meditech training, procedure manual and documents according to IQMH requirements for LIS. Collaborating with application specialists to implement computerized and logistical improvements. Advise on new LIS equipment, LIS upgrades and strategies. Collaborating with Laboratory Leadership Team to improve workflow. Collaborating with regional partners in implementing computerized and logistical improvements. Providing application support and implementation assistance to regional partners for Meditech Laboratory modules.
Performing laboratory procedures as outlined in the procedure manuals for the discipline - specific functions; ensuring the maintenance of quality control and equipment within assigned area of the laboratory; maintaining an inventory management system for the efficient utilization and distribution of laboratory equipment and supplies; maintaining a system for detecting, documenting and reporting discrepancies/errors and taking appropriate action(s) as required; assistance in implementation and maintenance of new and/or revised procedures, protocols and performance standards in collaboration with LIS Charge Technologist.
Participating in staff and patient experience and feedback initiatives, professional development, teaching/ educational activities, safety and quality improvement programs to ensure excellence in the provision of services. Observing and understanding RVH and departmental policies and procedures, adhering to RVH and departmental mission and vision statements while maintaining patient confidentiality. Updating and maintaining LIS dictionary for specific discipline. Performing other related duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned, requested, or required.
You must have access to reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• University Degree or Community College Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology and a minimum of a Diploma level in Information Technology, Computer Science or IT related program (mandatory)
• Active CMLTO Registration required (mandatory)
• Minimum five (5) years’ recent laboratory experience in Computerized Health Care Information Systems (preferably Meditech)
• Project Management experience and problem solving skills an asset
• Experience supporting end users from an applications and device standpoint
• Background in teaching and training at the adult level
• Related experience in a hospital environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• General knowledge of all areas of the laboratory preferred
• Thorough knowledge of the theory and practices of all laboratories procedures, automated chemistry instruments/equipment and special techniques preferred
• Meditech and LIS knowledge and experience an asset
• Point of Care program knowledge and experience an asset
• Excellent customer service skills and ability to work independently
• Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory workflow in an acute care setting required
• Demonstrated knowledge of current LIS/technologies within the field
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and professionally with staff, physicians, volunteers, patient families, and visitors
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects at a time in a cost effective manner
• Demonstrated ability to perform duties independently and as a team member, with high degree of motivation and independent judgment
• Demonstrated commitment to excellent attendance and schedule flexibility
• Demonstrated excellent conflict resolution and change management skills
• Demonstrated strong critical thinking and problem-solving ability
• Demonstrated proficiency with keyboarding, Laboratory Information Systems (Meditech preferred), MS Office, internet use and other computer software
• Demonstrated commitment to continuing education and performing mandatory reviews
For further information and to apply to this posting (Req # 3595) please visit the careers page at www.rvh.on.ca